LKB was retained by the City of Yonkers to provide design services for the reconstruction of approximately one mile of downtown roadway in Yonkers. Work included survey and mapping, inspection/evaluation of the bridge over the Nepperhan River, soils investigation, highway and drainage evaluation and design, engineer’s estimates, vapor testing, traffic signal design, design of bridge rehabilitation and the development of a Design Approval Document for this federally funded project, which required compliance with federal requirements and procedures.
The final design and preparation of contract documents for the reconstruction and improvement of the roadway included:
– Milling and resurfacing the roadway
– Improvements to the horizontal and vertical alignment of the roadway
– Installation of new sidewalks, curbs and handicap ramps
– Replacement of traffic signals at nine locations with an interconnected system
– New pavement markings and signs
– Bus stop turnouts
– Drainage improvement
– Replacement of roadway lighting and installation of decorative lighting at select locations
– Rehabilitation of the bridge over Saw Mill River
– Streetscape improvements including trees, landscaping, trash receptacles, and benches at select locations
Upon acceptance of the contract documents, LKB provided services during the bidding phase, which included responding to inquiries from prospective bidders; review of contractors’ qualifications and references; preparation of a bid summary; and recommendation of the award to the lowest responsible and qualified bidder. LKB’s construction support services during the construction phase included review and approval of detailed shop drawings, catalog cuts, and miscellaneous submittals for compliance with contract documents; review and responses to RFI’s (Request for Information) and Change Order Requests; and attendance of progress and project meetings, as necessary.
City of Yonkers